Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Early Look at 2017-18 Men's Hoops

Early Look at 2017-18 Men's Hoops

So we have a head coach! Welcome Coach Keatts!

Now...

Who are the assistants gonna be?

Who will be returning from last year's roster? I can see Markell, Nard, Kapita, Kirk, Dorn, Hicks, Abu, and Allen all fit. Omer and Mav kinda don't. Can you imagine Mav in a press defense? Yikes!

Theres still a lot of good recruits out there and there is always college basketball free agency.
    NC State '13

I think he's going to lose a few guys and will have to piece together a roster somehow. Some good parts like Markell, Nard, and Torin For sure. I also think he will utilize Kirk a lot better than Gott did. But a lot of missing pieces.

I think we proved this year, it's not just about the players. Most agreed we had top half of the league, or even top third, talent but ended up 14th in the league.
    So let's assume the talent. Some will stay, some will leave, and he'll probably add some.
    We'll have some talent - but it's unlikely that anyone he'll bring in will magically transform this team to being one that competes for the league title. DSJ couldn't do it, not many could.

So what is a reasonable goal?
    I think going from 14th place up to 11th, and being the best of the lower third, is reasonable. That's what GT did this year, they were 8-10 in the league with wins against UNC and ND, and 18-15 overall. And they are in the NIT.
    You'd think our players being a year older, will play better on both ends. I would hope Keatt's offense is more suited to our guys, and we'll see how the defense goes. But it would have to be at least a little better.

This is his honeymoon year - playing with someone else's players, still getting used to the ACC, new staff, establishing recruiting - so expectations should be tempered. But I have to believe he will do a little better than this season, at least.
    Last edited by Papajohn; 03-18-2017 at 10:05 AM.
    I remember when we were the best, hoping to see it again.

Quote Originally Posted by thepackwillbeback View Post
    I think he's going to lose a few guys and will have to piece together a roster somehow. Some good parts like Markell, Nard, and Torin For sure. I also think he will utilize Kirk a lot better than Gott did. But a lot of missing pieces.
    I'm excited to see Kirk in a press.

Quote Originally Posted by Papajohn View Post
    I think we proved this year, it's not just about the players. Most agreed we had top half of the league, or even top third, talent but ended up 14th in the league.
    So let's assume the talent. Some will stay, some will leave, and he'll probably add some.
    We'll have some talent - but it's unlikely that anyone he'll bring in will magically transform this team to being one that competes for the league title. DSJ couldn't do it, not many could.

So what is a reasonable goal?
    I think going from 14th place up to 11th, and being the best of the lower third, is reasonable. That's what GT did this year, they were 8-10 in the league with wins against UNC and ND, and 18-15 overall. And they are in the NIT.
    You'd think our players being a year older, will play better on both ends. I would hope Keatt's offense is more suited to our guys, and we'll see how the defense goes. But it would have to be at least a little better.

This is his honeymoon year - playing with someone else's players, still getting used to the ACC, new staff, establishing recruiting - so expectations should be tempered. But I have to believe he will do a little better than this season, at least.
    I just want to see better effort that is it. I want an offense with movement and a defense without as many holes as a block of Swiss cheese. If we lose close games but are competitive I'll be happy

Quote Originally Posted by pack attack View Post
    I just want to see better effort that is it. I want an offense with movement and a defense without as many holes as a block of Swiss cheese. If we lose close games but are competitive I'll be happy
    This. I don't expect to suddenly go from 0 to 60 but I DO expect to see all-out balls to the wall EFFORT each and every game. And if a player isn't giving that effort then I expect to see his a$$ on the bench watching somebody else, even a walk-on, take his minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by TriangleDreamer View Post
    ... I DO expect to see all-out balls to the wall EFFORT each and every game..
    I think that is what every Pack fan is thinking.
    We don't know what to think about Keatts yet (but we're all hoping for the best), but if he can get those same players to play up to their potential - that is all you can ask. And it will be great to watch.
    We just want to be proud of our team, every night. Losing to a better team is okay, losing to a team that just has a great night is okay, but playing less than our best every night is not okay. And that happened a ton this year.
    I remember when we were the best, hoping to see it again.

^That and kick UNC's ass frequently. That's all we ask.

^and maybe an ACC championship once in a while.

^a final four run would be nice too.