Page 31 of 45 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 444

Thread: Early Look at 2017-18 Men's Hoops

  1. #301
    Senior Member WolfpackSI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,492
    Looks like we are playing Arizona in the Battle of Atlantis.

    Hope our boys are ready. I'm not a huge fan of the Miller family so I want the team to get after 'em but man Zona is gonna have good team..
    NC State '13

  2. #302
    Senior Member Dof87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,069
    Anything can happen in these early OOC games. Maybe our depth and conditioning can pay off, but AZ likely a top 10 team.

  3. #303
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    338
    The tournament is 4 months away. We've already showed that we have progressed right much since April and part of that time we weren't fully staffed. I expect us to progress even more in the coming months and be prepared for the tournament. Arizona will be a tough match up for us early on but I think it will serve as a good gauge of where we are and where we will need to be to contend with the premiere programs this season. That is, if Arizona is playing close to their best. It is preseason and every team will be looking to work their kinks out.

  4. #304
    Senior Member WolfpackSI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,492
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfHowl View Post
    The tournament is 4 months away. We've already showed that we have progressed right much since April and part of that time we weren't fully staffed. I expect us to progress even more in the coming months and be prepared for the tournament. Arizona will be a tough match up for us early on but I think it will serve as a good gauge of where we are and where we will need to be to contend with the premiere programs this season. That is, if Arizona is playing close to their best. It is preseason and every team will be looking to work their kinks out.
    One big advantage that we have is that we are an older team that already has a few games under our belt. Also we will probably be in better condition than Zona.

    However, they have maybe the most talented team in the country. They are returning one of the best backcourts in with Alkins and Trier and have arguably the best freshman big/potential #1 pick in DeAndre Ayton.

    But man do I wanna see Sean Miller drenched in sweat when his team can't beat our press. I wanna beat him as much as I wanna beat UNC
    NC State '13

  5. #305
    Senior Member Papajohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,104
    Okay, normally I'm the guy that says, "Bring 'em on!" I like the Pack playing the toughest competition. But, this is a rough way to start your first season as an ACC coach. Welcome to the bigs, coach!

    I suppose you have to say, "what's the worst that could happen?"
    One of the best teams in the country, stomps a team (likely) preseason predicted to be one of the bottom tier finishers in the ACC. No one would be surprised, and no one would fault our players or staff. Another "great learning experience against a great team."

    A little more positive spin ...
    Being an early season game, it's a great gauge, and we could definitely come away with reasons for optimism. We lose, but either the team holds it's own for a while, or maybe certain players excel - giving the fans and medial something positive to talk about.

    Even more positive spin ...
    We lose, but Y7 scores 90 or BB scores 70. That's a close to a win as there could be. You might even see some partying downtown. (definitely at my house!)

    Then there's that other possibility.
    Keatts - 3/19/17 - “No matter what they say about us, no matter what they think about us, understand that with time … we will be champions again, and I promise you that.”

  6. #306
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    338
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfpackSI View Post
    One big advantage that we have is that we are an older team that already has a few games under our belt. Also we will probably be in better condition than Zona.

    However, they have maybe the most talented team in the country. They are returning one of the best backcourts in with Alkins and Trier and have arguably the best freshman big/potential #1 pick in DeAndre Ayton.

    But man do I wanna see Sean Miller drenched in sweat when his team can't beat our press. I wanna beat him as much as I wanna beat UNC
    I feel the same way. I wish that we could meet them in the first round of the NCAAT with them being a 1 seed and we being the 16 seed coming off a win in the play-in game. Obviously, we beat the breaks off them and make history as the only 16 seed to bear a 1 seed. That'd be karma! Ok, time to say goodbye to dreamland, reality is calling!

  7. #307
    Senior Member Dof87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,069
    Based on how little we really know about this team, the range of possibilities is pretty wide.

  8. #308
    Senior Member Howler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    865
    IMO, this team should fare better than last year's. Certainly stronger and deeper along the front with capable ones and better production from the three.

    As for Keatts, I'll feel more encouraged when he signs some quality ones and twos due to my doubts small ball can consistently deliver at this level.

    H
    Last edited by Howler; 08-15-2017 at 12:15 PM.

  9. #309
    Senior Member Exterminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,757
    Would you say mid majors are, in general, smaller than majors? Certainly not always, but some have been kicking butt in the NCAA tournament. I don't think we'll win the regular season title like that, either, but it should buy him some time.

  10. #310
    Senior Member redfredina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,585
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfHowl View Post
    I feel the same way. I wish that we could meet them in the first round of the NCAAT with them being a 1 seed and we being the 16 seed coming off a win in the play-in game. Obviously, we beat the breaks off them and make history as the only 16 seed to bear a 1 seed. That'd be karma! Ok, time to say goodbye to dreamland, reality is calling!
    Actually WolfHowl, still winning in the first round, but with Zona as the #16 seed, and us as the #1 seed, now that's what I call "dreamland"!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •