Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast

Thread: Early Look at 2017-18 Men's Hoops

Neither will ever make the tournament as a 16 seed. In fact, no team from the ACC or the PAC 10 will ever make the tournament as a 16 seed.

Dang it, E, WolfHowl and me, we were just kidding around. Stop being so, so, well... literal, for crying out loud! Excuse my french there, no hard feelings, I hope!

Hey, this is 2017 after all, you can't be too careful about what you say, possibly hitting a nerve that never existed in the history of all of mankind, and then having someone go absolutely bat shit on you. Just sayin'...

That's a load of guano. 😀

^ See.

Just as predicted.

http://packinsider.com/2017/09/05/pg...reshman-scout/

Nice to see Batts getting some love. However, given the fact that he is playing behind MJ, I wonder about his opportunity to make a big impact this season.
    If we end up playing he and MJ together for a significant amount of time, that probably means that both Freeman and Hunt are disappointments. Which would be terrible.

Just a few weeks until practice starts, hope we get the ruling on BB this month. If he is allowed to play, that too might impact Batts' ability to make an impact.
    Last edited by Papajohn; 09-05-2017 at 11:04 AM.
    I remember when we were the best, hoping to see it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Papajohn View Post
    If we end up playing he and MJ together for a significant amount of time, that probably means that both Freeman and Hunt are disappointments.
    Let let em play a bit before we go there. Even if everyone is playing above expectations they cannot all play at the same time. Its a luxury that we have experienced players so guys like Batts are not forced to shoulder the load as freshman. Either way, we should expect a lot of rotation from KK, particularly early in the season.

If Batt's doesn't meet expectations, maybe the expectations were not insightful. He's a promising freshman, don't let that get lost in the hype of a few talking heads.

Quote Originally Posted by Papajohn View Post
    http://packinsider.com/2017/09/05/pg...reshman-scout/

Nice to see Batts getting some love. However, given the fact that he is playing behind MJ, I wonder about his opportunity to make a big impact this season.
    If we end up playing he and MJ together for a significant amount of time, that probably means that both Freeman and Hunt are disappointments. Which would be terrible.

Just a few weeks until practice starts, hope we get the ruling on BB this month. If he is allowed to play, that too might impact Batts' ability to make an impact.
    Remember, KK is not Gott(or Lowe or Herb). KK's philosophy is completely different:

KK believes in going 10-11 guys deep and may go with a 4 guards lineup more than we think. I think there will be a lot of playing time for everyone. If you play hard then you play.

He is also a big believer in having two ball handlers on the floor as much as possible. Thats a big motivations behind bringing in both Bev and Lavar. He has talked a lot about how having Peyton Siva and Russ Smith on the floor at L'ville was a big part of that 2013 championship(that no longer exists i guess).
    NC State '13

IMO, the Scout article rather underrates the skill and importance of MJ, the one player I most feared losing in the coaching transition.

H
    Last edited by Howler; 09-06-2017 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Howler View Post
    IMO, the Scout article rather under rates the skill and importance of MJ, the one player I most feared losing in the coaching transition.
    I thought exactly the same thing about MJ.

As to lineups / bodies played, I took a really quick, high level comparison of last year's UNCW & Pack teams.
    UNC-W played 12 guys, State played 14.
    UNC-W played 10 guys at least 4 minutes per game, State played 11 guys at least 4 minutes per game.
    UNC-W - 5 players with most minutes - G, G, G, G, F
    NCSU - 5 players with most minutes - G, G, G, F, and Rowan listed as G/F
    UNC-W - 5 players with most minutes - 71.6% of minutes, 76.7% of points, 72.9% of rebounds
    NCSU - 5 players with most minutes - 64.9% of minutes, 75.1% of points, 60.3% of rebounds
    UNC-W - 5 players with second most minutes (#6-#10) - 25.7% of minutes, 21.3% of points, 24.2% of rebounds
    NCSU - 5 players with second most minutes (#6-#10) - 31.1% of minutes, 20% of points, 34.1% of rebound

Not as different as I expected based on the dramatically different styles of play.

http://www.greensboro.com/sports/acc...682758fdc.html

"Keep Up or Throw Up" - somebody make a T-shirt!!
    Last edited by Papajohn; 09-06-2017 at 11:32 AM.
    I remember when we were the best, hoping to see it again.