Page 17 of 73 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Football Discussion

Can't complain too much about the offense until the last two drives. Ball security and focusing on making the catch are big areas to work on.

Defense took a while to settle in. I thought they played very well in the last quarter to keep us in it. The missed tackles are very concerning.

Special teams was AWFUL. The reason why we lost the game imo. Its the reason we have lost a lot of games under DD. 10 point difference with the opening TD and the missed FG today.

Finley played well but is not a difference maker imo. Russell Wilson made gutsy plays in big moments. Mike Glennon made gutsy plays in big moments. Jacoby Brissett made gutsy plays in big moments. Finley isn't there but the receivers share a big part of that blame today.

Hoping we grow from this but seems like I say that every close loss. We should have won this game.
    NC State '13

Another #NCStateShit Year!

This program is going no where until we overhaul whole system.

Considering how much support this program get from fanbase, this is neglect of duty. This program should be jailed.

Finley threw for 400+ yards. He completed 45 passes. That's around 10 yards or less a pass. Throw the ball down the field! And he took sacks he shouldn't have. His fumble, Louis's fumble, and the kickoff return was our downfall. Short field for USC. Three touchdowns.

Quote Originally Posted by FireandIce View Post
    Finley threw for 400+ yards. He completed 45 passes. That's around 10 yards or less a pass. Throw the ball down the field! And he took sacks he shouldn't have. His fumble, Louis's fumble, and the kickoff return was our downfall. Short field for USC. Three touchdowns.
    In his defense, recievers did a terrible job w separation down field and dropped a lot of passed that were right in their bread basket.

But I see what you are saying...same Finley as last year. People will rave about his completion percentage but the lack of arm talent was glaring if you watch the game.

What is and what shall ever be...

Another frustrating loss. A game we clearly should have won, but shot ourselves in our feet. Some bright spots, but we were not ferocious. First games are always a crap shoot, but no excuses. We didn't make enough big plays, nor enough stops. Better get better quick.

I've come to the conclusion that we are a basketball school that sucks in basketball.

Three more things. Bambard got kickoff duties and got one touchba k. One. The defensive play calling on third down was atrocious at best. We blitzed and got burned almost every single time. And it was supposed to be a home game for us but there were Gamecock fans everywhere and they were LOUD.

I know I may sound like a broken record but the defensive philosophy needs to change. We cannot keep plying off their receivers. A huge majority of their yards came from short passes. They are what negates our pass rush and ability to pressure the QB into making mistakes and getting sacks. If limiting big plays is our focus then we get a F- in that department. We gave up highlight reals to their best player on a deep ball while playing off him. We have to take away a teams first option in the passing game. You do this by jamming the receiver at the line and have a safety help over the top. It's third and six and our DBs are ten yards from the receiver! It's easy pitch and catch for the QB and the receiver with no pressure on either one. It's that half second that he QB has to take to make sure the receiver is open that allows Chubb and Co. to get to the QB or pressure him into a poor placed ball. We had the run game shut down. They were averaging a little over two yards per carry towards the end of the game.

Special teams need a complete overhaul and more time devoted in practice. Absolutely no reason why our player should be blocked into our own guy on a fair catch. No reason why we should even kick the ball to their best player on kickoffs. And, there has to be a player on either the men's or women's soccer team or even a student out of 30k+ students that can kick the ball in the end zone. Period.

I don't put this game solely on the coaches. The players did enough damage to themselves in this one. But if I'm DD I have to seriously start to ponder taking over the play calling on defense. Oh, and just so I don't leave out anything, the run game isn't going to win us any games this year either. Gallaspy looked lethargic today and running Hines between the tackles is eventually going to strain our depth at that position. Otherwise, the offense did its part today I thought. Hard to beat the opposing team and the boys in black and white stripes.