Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Football Discussion

Think this loss was tough on you? After halftime they carted me off to the hospital. Tough day and I made my feelings about DD known last year so needless to restate any of it now.

Bah!

Old Howler

Uhhh, sorry guys, but taking too many sacks isn't the QB's fault, it comes from not developing any type of running threat to keep the D honest. Amazing, our own much HYPED DL is mediocre at best, they get consistently pushed backwards after contact time after time, they missed countless tackles... And yet, we move the ball up and down the field entirely via the passing game, no running game to aid in the effort at all, and yet, it's the QB's fault??? And his lack of arm strength?

Seriously people??? Get the hell out of here.

Quote Originally Posted by redfredina View Post
    Uhhh, sorry guys, but taking too many sacks isn't the QB's fault, it comes from not developing any type of running threat to keep the D honest. Amazing, our own much HYPED DL is mediocre at best, they get consistently pushed backwards after contact time after time, they missed countless tackles... And yet, we move the ball up and down the field entirely via the passing game, no running game to aid in the effort at all, and yet, it's the QB's fault??? And his lack of arm strength?

Seriously people??? Get the hell out of here.
    Keeping the defense honest is a two way street. There was no running game but there was also no vertical threat. As I said before, not completely Finley's fault but he shares a big part of the blame.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfpackSI View Post
    Keeping the defense honest is a two way street. There was no running game but there was also no vertical threat. As I said before, not completely Finley's fault but he shares a big part of the blame.
    Why was there no running game? Our offensive line didn't open holes and the RBs did a poor job of executing. Finley did much better, given these circumstances, than the rest of the offense did. This game also featured a pretty decent defensive front four. Granted, it was the other team's front four.

When you get outplayed by an inferior team and lose, yet again, on national TV that's coaching. Period. End of story.

And we need a new DC, now. Right now. And I don't give a Hux what you say about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Howler View Post
    Think this loss was tough on you? After halftime they carted me off to the hospital. Tough day and I made my feelings about DD known last year so needless to restate any of it now.

Bah!

Old Howler
    Howler, are you okay now?

I harped on everybody, including the DLine. That being said, Finley had time to throw and didn't in the second half. If they're bringing the house, you get rid of it. Especially when it's one on one coverage. USC did it. We didn't. And the running game got going in the second half. Go back and watch that last drive. As a matter of fact go back and watch how many times Finley went through his progressions in the last couple of drives. Also watch how many times he threw it in double and sometimes triple coverage when other receivers were wide open. He got lucky he wasn't picked a couple of times. And on the third down play before the field goal brick, he threw the ball out of bounds where the receiver never had a chance to get it in one on one coverage. We had a running game last year and how many close games did we win at the end? Exactly. The coaches are responsible as well as the players, especially the QB. Brian Hoyer threw for 4 or 5 straight games over 300 yards for the Bears last year and guess how many games they won? 3 all year because they couldn't get the ball end the endzone and couldn't throw the ball down the field. 5 yard outs, slants, and screens are runs. That's it. And it's not hard to complete them.

The D held them to 31 yards on 21 carries. And if Chubb and company would've completed a couple of those sacks, that number would look even better. But since they were so highly touted they should've been able to get pressure with just four or five. Not the whole house, leaving inexperienced DB's in single coverage on All Conference receivers. Those blitzes killed us on third down. I think we got two sacks off of that - in the second half.

You didn't watch the game if you're saying Finley didn't have time. The Oline did pretty well in pass protection..he just didn't take too many shots fown field.

Quote Originally Posted by Exterminator View Post

And we need a new DC, now. Right now. And I don't give a Hux what you say about it.
    Hux has go have something on DD because theres no reason why he should still be our DC. Year after year he shows that he has no idea how to coach a secondary. One year its because there isn't enough talent and then its that the DBs are just too slow for the system. Wonder what the excuse is gonna be this year. Meanwhile, every year we make below everage quarterbacks look all americans.

Anyway, I think the best short term solution is for DD to take over defensive playcalling completely. Will that makes things better? Who the hux knows...