Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Football Discussion

But we saw the same thing last year. Lost to ECU and everybody's talking about how it was the first game on the road and how it was the beginning of the year. Then they lost to BC later. It's not like they added high ranked recruits to the lineup during the summer. It's the same team that's been here since Spring.And most of the same team that was here last year.

Quote Originally Posted by FireandIce View Post
    I was just responding to JimmyV about the calls. We lost the game because the team didn't show up.
    Oh, I agree. It felt like we should've lost by 2-3 touchdowns.

Morehead. He showed up too. Left him out.

Quote Originally Posted by PackJunky View Post
    They certainly would be different... but, those plays didn't go differently. That's the point. Give us the missed field goals last year and we would have done this that and the other. But the team didn't get it done last year and they didn't get it done yesterday. Those what-ifs are just excuses. DD has done a strong job in recruiting, he has connected well with the players and given them a mature team first attitude, he has developed players well in every area except one. They have a loser's mentality. They haven't won any of the several big game opportunities in the 5 years under Doeren... not one. (Im not counting UNC games which were big for rivalry reasons only, and not counting the hurricane game with ND, which was a fluke game that I believe we surely would have lost by a significant margin had the weather been normal). They don't really know how to dig deep, play angry, and will themselves to victory. That's coaching. To DDs credit, he took the responsibility upon himself postgame. And for sure, it is one game. We have 11 more opportunities. If this team can channel the anger they feel from this dumbfounding loss and turn things around, they can still have a great season. But they have to see themselves as winners, not just competitors.

Bingo, Junky!!! Everything you just said right there! Those the exact reasons that I felt this team isn't there yet, and the same reasons I wasn't falling head over heels for all of the preseason "HYPE!!!". Call it whatever, an intangible, but as of this point, this group of FB players simply have not developed it, whatever it is.

Quote Originally Posted by beezoc22 View Post
    I wonder if the comments would be any different if two plays had gone differently? Take away their opening kickoff TD and give us our missed FG.
    duuhhhyep, beez, I'm kinda thinking they would.

I'm thinking that if we didn't lose 2 fumbles, while not creating any turnovers ourselves. I'm thinking if we didn't drop passes when we're wide open down field, I'm thinking we were extremely lucky not have had interceptions and even had several completions that we really shouldn't have, because the ball was right there even when our receivers weren't able to gain any separation, whatsoever, from the SC defenders. I'm thinking South Carolina's defense allowed 27 points, and NC State's defense allowed South Carolina to score 27 points. I'm thinking a whole lot of things that are entirely different from some of the stuff I'm seeing on this thread, but hey, what's new there?

Sorry to hear about your troubles yesterday Howler. We all joke about our blood pressure and it's all fun and games till it hits close to home. Hope you're feeling better man.

Not to kick a dead horse, but kickoffs were another big part of our woes yesterday.

Our average starting field position after a kickoff was the 23, South Carolina's was the 41.

Pathetic coverage on our kickoff team. The massive return to start the game was because we had at least two guys out of position on the right side.

We should have had a player on the outer hash and a player on the numbers and both of them pinched in, Samuel went right around them and took it to the house.

Yet again, I think this was a player fault, I used to coach a kickoff team and players are coached in the correct position to set up containment (as I mentioned above) going all the way back to middle school football.

Other takeaways that I got:

We need some shuffling on the O Line.
    Granted, yesterday we were without Will Richardson at RT and started a freshman which had three penalties, two of which were very costly.
    I still have no clue why highly talented OT McGirt is not playing, but I am guessing that he is still not 100%.

We have to find another RB that can be reliable. Hines worries me a lot running between the tackles.

Erin Collins coming off his suspension for the Wolf Village incident will help our running game a lot. We need to get him some carries early in the Marshall game to build his confidence.

Hines showed that he is a matchup nightmare running passing plays out of the backfield. In my opinion, we should have run a few more HB screen plays since U-SC was crashing the box with 7 early in the game.

We have quite an arsenal in our WR corps.
    Quite the opposite that we had when Canada was here.
    Freshman WR Emeka Emezie only had one catch, but I thought it was very impressive. He is going to be another very good, physical WR down the road. Kelvin Harmon is demonstrating exactly why he was a 4* WR, albiet, some of his targeted throws were blatant defensive PI, he played outstanding yesterday. CJ Riley is also another very young receiver that I thought looked good yesterday. I could tell he is still reluctant with his repaired knee, but looked good yesterday.

Our TE corp looked solid yesterday. Cole Cook yet again was huge with downfield blocking.
    I have no clue who #99 is, did not even have a name on his jersey, but he is huge. Looked like an OT, but was clearly a TE. Threw some very good blocks. J-Sam was doing J-Sam things all day long, but U-SC started to blanket him with 2 DBs, so we definitely need to find another H-Back option like Parham to emerge.
    Last edited by packman687; 09-03-2017 at 11:15 PM.

Where are we in reality? Even if we had won, the vaunted defense underperformed. My personal feeling is that we need a new thought process on defense...

IMO, Gallaspy needs numerous touches against Marshall. We need him to come on for us.

H