Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: BASKETBALL RECRUITING UPDATES: 2017 & Beyond

BASKETBALL RECRUITING UPDATES: 2017 & Beyond

Trying to track down what is happening with 2017 (yes, 2017) PG Braxton Beverly. Early reports were that he had decommitted from OSU was coming to State, but nothing new since. Hargrave kid (AW Hamilton - our new assistant coach - was his HS Coach I believe). He's a 5'10 PG who can shoot it. Once scored 70 in a game. I know Maryland and VCU were also trying to get him, so we'll see where we stand with him shortly.

We expect Kevin Keatts to focus on bringing in some major front court talent in 2018. Nearly the entire front court will be leaving. Abu, Freeman and Yurtseven will all be on their way out, leaving a ton of minutes for a couple newcomers to slot in the frontcourt. So far, it seems that the staff is really keying on landing Jairus Hamilton of Cannon School, outside Charlotte, NC.

Hamilton (6’8, SF) is ranked 41st in his class by ESPN. He is a left handed SF who thrives on physicality but also possesses elite scoring skills. This kid’s versatility is what has scouts drooling. He can take it to the rim and finish through contact, or spot up and knock down the open jumper. Early on he was a liability beyond the arc, but as of late he’s found consistency in his shot.

Hamilton’s stock is soaring and whoever lands him is going to have a real star on their hands. Word is that State sits in a good position with him, but UNC is hot on their heels (no pun intended). We’ll continue to update you on his recruitment as the season goes on.

Other schools that have offered include Arizona, Duke and Cal.

Take a closer look at this kids elite skillset.

Also keep an eye on Saddiq Bey. 6'6 wing out of DC. Remember this...

The Hoopmixtape guys were telling us that State coaches were watching his team at UA camp. So State is on him. How hard? Well, who knows, but his stock is rising fast and he's another one of these 'Keatts guys'. Tweener who isn't an elite scorer (he's a decent shooter though) but really, really grinds and plays physical.

NC State has one commit so far in 2018. That means they should have 4 scholarships left to give.
    Here is where we stand for the class of '18 as of 7/27/17

2018 Commits
    Jamie Lewis - 4 star PG

2018 Offers
    Elijah Weaver (4 star PG)
    Ayo Dosunmu (4 star PG)
    Xavier Johnson (3 star PG)

Romeo Langford (5 star SG)
    Keldon Johnson (5 star SG)
    Noah Locke (3 star SG)
    Saddiq Bey (3 star SG)

Zion Williamson (5 star SF)
    Louis King (5 star SF)
    Jaylen Hoard (4 star SF)
    Nassir Little (3 star SF)
    Jairus Hamilton (3 star SF)
    Kris Monroe (3 star SF)
    Jericole Hellems (2 star SF)

Simisola 'Simi' Shittu (5 star PF)
    Emmitt Williams (4 star PF)
    Immanuel Bates (3 star PF)

David McCormack (3 star C)

* green italics denote guys we think are NC State leans

Great stuff PI, thank you! Baselined us all on where we stand across the board.
    Can't wait to see what the staff can do with a full offseason of recruiting.
    Kind of hope they can lock in Beverly, if Thad Matta liked the guy he's definitely worth a hard look.
    Really excited to get a hint of what the 'new Pack' is going to look like during the next couple of weeks.
    Last edited by Papajohn; 07-28-2017 at 07:44 AM.
    Keatts - 3/19/17 - “No matter what they say about us, no matter what they think about us, understand that with time … we will be champions again, and I promise you that.”

I know a lot of people might look at that list and wonder why we are recruiting all of these 3 star guys, but I'd advise everyone to just wait and see. Keatts is supposedly a great talent evaluator and someone who will grab guys whose stock is on the rise, or guys who are 'so close' but just need a bit of coaching up to get to that 4 or 5 star level. If you're paying attention, Keatts is not caring much about stars and ranks from the media. He is building his foundation around hard working athletes who will buy into his system and put in the work necessary to become great.

If this were Lowe or Gottfried going after 3 stars then I might be a bit worried, but what we've seen from Keatts and his track record, suggests that he is methodically building a program around 'his guys.'

Quote Originally Posted by PackInsider View Post
    I know a lot of people might look at that list and wonder why we are recruiting all of these 3 star guys, but I'd advise everyone to just wait and see. Keatts is supposedly a great talent evaluator and someone who will grab guys whose stock is on the rise, or guys who are 'so close' but just need a bit of coaching up to get to that 4 or 5 star level. If you're paying attention, Keatts is not caring much about stars and ranks from the media. He is building his foundation around hard working athletes who will buy into his system and put in the work necessary to become great.

If this were Lowe or Gottfried going after 3 stars then I might be a bit worried, but what we've seen from Keatts and his track record, suggests that he is methodically building a program around 'his guys.'
    Hope you are right. I saw those in green and wondered if we were going to have to settle for 'diamonds in the rough' next year because it takes time to earn credibility with the national level players. At the end of the day, you have to have talent to be relevant on the national level.
    Keatts - 3/19/17 - “No matter what they say about us, no matter what they think about us, understand that with time … we will be champions again, and I promise you that.”

Braxton Beverly to NC State Looks like we will have a nice stable of PGs for next season. Considered a 3/4 star player he was committed to Ohio State before Thad Matta got canned. Was a team captain at Hargrave. Great pick up for us.

We need the chicken, if we put a good product on the field the egg will follow. Until then recruiting a bunch of 4 and 5 star guys to NC State is a dream.

Beverly reminds me a little of JJ Barea from the Mavs. Smaller point guard who can really run a pick and roll, throws up crazy layups that somehow dont get blocked, and can shoot from three. Needless to say, those are all things this team needs.