Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Fire doeren

Fire doeren

Just Kidding but the vegas odds article by PI got me thinking...

No doubt that Doeren is on the hot seat. I would say that he is in a very similar position as Gott was last year. This is the best team you have had - what can you do with it? Gott wasn't able to do much and we all know what happened...

So that being said. What is it gonna take for Doeren to continue being the pack coach moving forward?

For me:

- We need to win the games we are supposed to win vs Marshall, Furman, Syracuse, Pitt, BC, and Wake

- Need a strong showing and beat 2/3 vs UNC, Notre Dame, and USC

- Need a strong showing and beat 1/3 vs L'ville, Clemson, and FSU

- Gotta win whatever bowl game

That puts us at 10-3 which is respectable given the difficulty of the schedule
    Last edited by WolfpackSI; 08-04-2017 at 08:16 PM.
    NC State '13

Quote Originally Posted by WolfpackSI View Post
    Just Kidding but the vegas odds article by PI got me thinking...

No doubt that Doeren is on the hot seat. I would say that he is in a very similar position as Gott was last year. This is the best team you have had - what can you do with it? Gott wasn't able to do much and we all know what happened...

So that being said. What is it gonna take for Doeren to continue being the pack coach moving forward?

For me:

- We need to win the games we are supposed to win vs Marshall, Furman, Syracuse, Pitt, BC, and Wake

- Need a strong showing and beat 2/3 vs UNC, Notre Dame, and USC

- Need a strong showing and beat 1/3 vs L'ville, Clemson, and FSU

- Gotta win whatever bowl game

That puts us at 10-3 which is respectable given the difficulty of the schedule
    Very good breakdown of your game expectations for the upcoming season. There is no reason the Wolfpack shouldn't be at 10-3. However, we know what history has shown:
    Games the Pack are supposed to win, they'll find a way to lose at least one of those. Strong showing and beat 2/3 of that trio, the Pack might beat one of those three. Strong showing and beat 1/3 of the last three, it is possible that will occur. Regular season is probably 7-5 at best.

Is this really you Bobby bouchet?

I think the 10-3 record is realistic as well. There is no doubt the schedule is tough. We don't have as many question marks as we've had in the past. Especially at the skill positions. DD's MO has always been run first to control the game. The defense has to do their part as well. If we are successful on both sides of the ball I think we have a real shot at 10-3. As for firing DD for falling short of that mark? We'll have to see how the season plays out. We may see a situation where we finish 9-4 but beat UNX, Clemson, and FSU but drop LU, ND, USC, and someone like Syracuse. If so, I think DD stays and should. The program is starting to get some buzz and going 2-1 with the powerhouse programs of FSU, Clemson, and LU will certainly keep the buzz going. DD has certainly improved the overall product of the program with the players he is bringing in. To see where we are at compared to his first year is a stark difference. DD has never promised a "get rich quick" kind of results. Yet, he has lived up to his plan that getting us where we want to go will take a blue collar mindset and work ethic. That is who we are. The comparison with DD and Gott is unfair in my opinion. Gott delivered quick but didn't have and certainly didn't keep the pieces in place to sustain the success. DD has improved the talent at every position. AND has improved the depth at every position except for FG kicker. He has built the program to sustain the success we've had thus far and the program is built for consistency and growth in the coming years. That is what all the Alabamas, tOSUs, and FSUs of CFB have in common.

I think more 2 groups. Really you should add ewenc and USC to the group of games we are supposed to win. Put Notre Dame in last group and win 1 of 4. 9-3 plus a decent bowl victory. 10-3 with top 25 final ranking. That's my minimum. No pressure.
    Last edited by Exterminator; 08-04-2017 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Exterminator View Post
    I think more 2 groups. Really you should add ewenc and USC to the group of games we are supposed to win. Put Notre Dame in last group and win 1 of 4. .
    I put USC, UNC, and ND in a separate group because they are more high pressure games against teams with higher ranked players but we are still ranked higher than all three.

L'ville(17), Clemson(5), and FSU(3) are all ranked teams that we are expected to not win. That is why they are in their own category.
    NC State '13

Given our brutal schedule, I would call 8-5 respectable, 9-4 extremely good, and 10-3 outstanding. Pitt is in some forecasters Top 25, and it is at Pitt, (Sporting News has them at 24 and us unranked) so no way is that a "supposed to beat". Notre Dame has popped up in a few polls as well, and that game is at South Bend.
    Last edited by thepackwillbeback; 08-05-2017 at 10:30 AM.

7 and 5, questionable.

Anything less and D Yow will rue her off- season endorsement.
    Recruiting already at a minimal level for a lower tier conference team. Another season without marquee wins and recruiting will likely drop through the a trap door, the one fans will pull on Doeren and Yow if she gets in the way.

H

Agreed, H. 7-5, realistic, and still questionable. The ACC, was considered by many as the top FB conference in the land last season. I am not sticking up for Doeren, but c'mon guys... 10-3... as the minimum? Seriously???

Quote Originally Posted by redfredina View Post
    but c'mon guys... 10-3... as the minimum? Seriously???
    Def not the minimum but should be the expectation imo. To me a minimum would be 8 wins. Fans have been very patient so Doeren needs to make a statement in year 5.
    NC State '13