Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Fire doeren

Regardless of appearances, typing skills, lack of memory, I am definitely not the senior member on this site.

Anyway, seeing these crazy preseason predictions from places like Athlon and CBS, I am wondering if someone isn't seriously worried about, or if they just plain don't have it out for... Dave Doeren???

I mean c'mon, seriously???

Briefly, an impression from 40 years ago:

Walking up the steps from the lower level seats for a cold drink one September evening with the smells of cigarettes and aromatic pipe tobaccos in the fall air and the rustling of thousands of peanut shells underfoot.

H

You got me on that one, H. Did we play night games then? Not in my memory bank. (I note that you said 40, not 50, years ago.)

We had lights in 67, Whiteshoes. Remember the Big Four Doubleheader? We beat the Holes in the afternoon game and Duke played Wake Forest in the next game that was played mainly under the lights. Some pretty cool for way back then.

If I recall correctly, Carter Stadium had lights when it opened in 66.

Quote Originally Posted by Radman View Post
    If I recall correctly, Carter Stadium had lights when it opened in 66.

Not sure of any connection but night games seem to have arrived in '72 with Holtz. Surely excitement arrived with him. Could be there just was'nt enough fan support for scheduling them at night before he arrived.

H
    Last edited by Howler; 08-18-2017 at 04:32 PM.

Wow !!!

Some wag at SI thinks if Doeren is gone at season's end we may, just may mind you, have a shot at Larry Fedora protege Blake Anderson now at Arkansas State.

Don't know about you but sure makes my mouth water.

Bah!!!

H
    Last edited by Howler; 08-28-2017 at 12:40 PM.

Doeren being successful this year "makes my mouth water". I couldn't care less about some ass hat trainee.

Quote Originally Posted by Howler View Post
    Wow !!!

Some wag at SI thinks if Doeren is gone at season's end we may, just may mind you, have a shot at Larry Fedora protege Blake Anderson now at Arkansas State.

Don't know about you but sure makes my mouth water.

Bah!!!

H
    I just threw up a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Exterminator View Post
    Doeren being successful this year "makes my mouth water". I couldn't care less about some ass hat trainee.
    Agreed. DD runs a clean program, recruits at a high level, good defensive mind, and Drink runs a fun offense. The only thing missing is the wins on the field.
    NC State '13