Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Fire doeren

Im just as frustrated as you guys but I will just say that we are far from a finished product. Lets see how the season plays out before already labeling this season as a bust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqzmukovOhQ

I was at the game and remember vividly this play and thought to write down the time. Please, fast forward to the 2:07:50 mark. 1st and 20 backed up and the announcers are talking about us pinning our ears back and coming after the QB. Instead, we play that usual "SOFT" coverage and we don't have a guy even close to the receiver when he catches it and gets 17 yards. This is the kind of shit I am tired of seeing. Yes, some of you will say its late in the game and we have the lead so no need to take chances blah blah blah. I can find other examples in the first half where those plays go for even more yardage I am sure. Just look at the amount of room we afford receivers prior to the snap and then look at where our defender is when the receive catches the ball. I am all for preventing big plays but the scheme we are running isn't preventing big plays. Absolutely no reason why they should be able to get 17 years on 1st and 20 with a little quick pass to the flat and not have someone there to lay a hit on the receiver as he catches the ball. This is the shit I am tired of seeing. This is why I am ready to see Hux fired and DD too if he doesn't think this needs to be addressed. We will get lit up against Louisville, Clemson, FSU, UNC, ND, and others with even more talent than Marshall. Marshall.....they play the likes of Kent State, Middle TN, Charlotte, and others. Bottom line: we have to play close enough to the receivers to force the QB to run through his progressions in order for our pass rush to get to him. If not, we will have even more quick passes that require very little decision making after the snap. I mean even a third grader can read our coverage and decide where to throw the ball pre-snap. Um, let's see...that DB is playing 7 yards off the receiver, that DB is playing 7 yards off the receiver and already back peddling, that safety is playing 5 yards to the inside of the slot receiver. Ini mini miny mo...

Rant over.....for now.

Even better example at the 17:00 minute mark...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqzmukovOhQ

And people have said the DBs have to tackle. They line up where they're told to. How can you blame the DBs for not tackling when they aren't being put in a position to do do. I believe we have a lot of talent on defense, but our DC is terrible. Maybe somebody should start a "Hux Sux" thread.

I'm with you Ex. I don't understand playing off the receivers seven or eight yards every damn play. Doeren is a defensive coach. Why in the Hell he continues to let Hux do this is mind boggling. The game plan for NC State is simple, establish the run game and when in a bind, toss it out to the corners because that's an easy ten yards. We see it game after game. Dave seems blind to this. It's just frustrating. Lamar Jackson will eat us alive if some changes aren't made.

With an inexperienced back field , Hux and Doeren apparently agree better to cede first downs while hoping to avoid giving up TDs.

Of course, five years in, one may ask why there aren't more experienced and talented upper class men available.

H
    Last edited by Howler; 09-12-2017 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Howler View Post
    With an inexperienced back field , Hux and Doeren apparently agree better to cede first downs while hoping to avoid giving up TDs.

Of course, five years in, one may ask why there aren't more experienced upper class men available.

H
    Agree H, totally. It's not like there aren't times to purposely lay back in prevent mode, but this is, and it has been, the standard MO with pass defense extending back into the TOB era. To me, the NC State coaching staff is giving the impression that they don't feel that their recruits, their own personnel that they are coaching, can match up one on one with the likes of... Marshall's receiving corps. All I know is that it is EXTREMELY frustrating to sit high in the stands with a perfect bird's eye of the spacing down on the field, and to watch NC State basically conceding that much space every time they line up.

Inexperienced or not it doesn't matter. It's the same result. We saw Tocho get constantly burned and he was our most experienced DB last year. We are not putting our DBs in a position to be successful. Giving a receiver that much room and space and expect our DBs to be successful is foolish thinking. Think about it, a receiver has 7-10 yards to get full speed and make his cut before even getting close to our DB. It makes it so much harder for our DBs to read the route and get full speed so as not to get beat. Yeh, I've heard the argument that our DBs lack the speed to hang with other teams receivers. It's all bullshit! There is no DB in college football that will have enough speed to recover in our system. And, if speed is a weakness of our DBs we sure as hell shouldn't let the receivers be full speed by the time they get to our DBs. It all starts at the line of scrimmage and at the snap of the ball. You jam their receivers to throw off the timing of the quick passes and to alter the actual route. All the while, our DB is no more than arms reach away from the receiver and is able to make the tackle, break up the pass, or make the interception. We have to force the QB to hold the ball longer to allow time for our DL and LBs to get to him. I get we don't want to get beat deep and give up the big plays but we are failing miserably at that with our current system. And, I don't want DD to ever talk about getting off the field after 3rd down as long as he allows this crap! Hux is a moron! Just allow them to gain 5-7 yards each play and march it down our throat!

Its bc oyr DBs arent that good and they cant give those WRs the chance to burn them. Our DBs just arent very good. I mean to say that things will get better when Mike gets back is unsettling. Mike is a decent corner, but no game chabger. We are what we are in the secondary unfortunately