View Poll Results: How good will NC State REALLY be this year?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • A complete bust! (<6 wins)

0 0%
  • Barely mediocre (6-7 regular season wins)

5 20.00%
  • Solid showing, relatively speaking (8-9 regular season wins)

14 56.00%
  • Shockingly good (10+ regular season wins)

5 20.00%
  • As good as advertised! (10+ wins and ACC Title)

1 4.00%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How good will NC State REALLY be this year?

Question How good will NC State REALLY be this year?

Recently on social media there has been a flurry of excitement/groaning over predictions of a phenomenal year for the Pack. Some national talking heads are going as far as to predict NC State to be an ACC Title contender and College Football Playoffs participant. If so, this would be the most successful year NC State has had for several decades and the memory of most of our fanbase.

I recall hearing the hype prior to the 2012 season and thinking that there wasn't a lot objectively to point towards to substantiate such bold claims. This year the arguments for a strong NC State seem much more concrete. That's not to say I think we're destined for the CFP or anything, but there seems to be less pontification leading to the NC State hype this year than in years past.

Here is the question for you all: will NC State really be as good as everyone is saying? Make your prediction!

9-3 regular season. No Natty. No ACC championship. But a good bowl. Hopefully 10-3.

Incidentally, if you want to see the poll you have request the desktop version if you're on your phone.
    Last edited by Exterminator; 08-28-2017 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Exterminator View Post
    9-3 regular season. No Natty. No ACC championship. But a good bowl. Hopefully 10-3.

8 or 9 seems reasonable. I'll say 9. Most pundits predict us 4th in the Coastal. While there are some who spell us out as a dark horse for bigger things (for good reasons), I'd say 'as advertised' is more like 9 wins and at least in the picture for ACCCG contention late in the season. 10+ and an ACC title is definitely better than most are predicting, I'd call that the high end of the hype. To me, being seen as a dark horse or spoiler isn't as much an expectation as it is acknowledging a possibility. It sure seems to be possible.

Due to our schedule, we can have a much improved team and still only get 8 wins. But with the challenge of being in the toughest division in college football comes great opportunity so I am excited as can be. While there is good reason to think big things are possible, teams typically only improve so much in one season, one level, not two. We can't drop any games we are suppose to win, that is for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Dof87 View Post
    While there are some who spell us out as a dark horse for bigger things (for good reasons), I'd say 'as advertised' is more like 9 wins and at least in the picture for ACCCG contention late in the season.
    I hope you're not implying that we lose to UNX at home and miss our shot at the ACCCG and a possible playoff game?!?! If that happens, it doesn't matter how many games this team wins, we fire Doeren and auction off CF to the LOWEST bidder!

Quote Originally Posted by WolfHowl View Post
    I hope you're not implying that we lose to UNX at home and miss our shot at the ACCCG and a possible playoff game?!?! If that happens, it doesn't matter how many games this team wins, we fire Doeren and auction off CF to the LOWEST bidder!
    That would hurt all over, wouldn't it. Actually, the only thing that I have good confidence in is that we'll kick their asses.

IMO, 8-4 would look good against this schedule and return Doeren. Mindful of back four and FG kicking challenges.

Of course, always going for more.

H

That would hurt all over, wouldn't it. Actually, the only thing that I have good confidence in is that we'll kick their asses.
    Yeh, I like our chances with the holes but it is a rivalry and anything can happen. I would like nothing more than to be in the ACCCG conversation when that game comes around. That would mean we had one hell of a year! I'm leaning more with Howler, 8-4. Doeren solidifies his position given the recruits coming in and the caliber of players on the field overall. Oh well, no matter the outcome of the season I will watch it all unfold from the comfort of my home theatre and Section 26! Can't wait!!

Quote Originally Posted by Howler View Post
    ......Mindful of back four and FG kicking challenges.

Yeah, we are likely to be average at best in either area. Where I hope we can make up for it is a more potent offense that we had last year, and one that controls the ball longer.

In our division, with our schedule, we could have top 10 quality effort and still finish with 4-5 loses. Rather depressing to think about. I'm expecting a very good 7-5 regular season. Then a match up against a 7-5 bowl opponent who is no where as good as we are because they had an easy regular season schedule.

Yeah, we are likely to be average at best in either area. Where I hope we can make up for it is a more potent offense that we had last year, and one that controls the ball longer.
    That's definitely one way to overcome most kicking woes. Don't be 4th and long from the 25+ yard line. Try to limit the kicking to PATs.