View Poll Results: How good will NC State REALLY be this year?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • A complete bust! (<6 wins)

0 0%
  • Barely mediocre (6-7 regular season wins)

5 20.00%
  • Solid showing, relatively speaking (8-9 regular season wins)

14 56.00%
  • Shockingly good (10+ regular season wins)

5 20.00%
  • As good as advertised! (10+ wins and ACC Title)

1 4.00%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How good will NC State REALLY be this year?

Quote Originally Posted by WolfpackSI View Post
    You know Giglio has a great point...

If this team is getting so much love from the media as a possible college playoff team then where is the top-25 ranking...???
    The few that make the hyped predictions get the attention. And this might be the hardest to predict scenario, in terms of W and L, I can recall. And if we finish with 8 wins there may still be a very strong case for us being top 25.

We play a tough schedule with a team that, although has some strong pieces, has plenty of gaps, and still hasn't shown it can win with consistency. I don't get the hype, and hope that the team doesn't buy into the hype while remaining confident in what they put on the field. We finished strong in our last two games of last year, but we struggled hard during the season. The FG kicking was atrocious, and our defense gave up some BIG third and long conversions. Our offense has some pieces, but it didn't wow anyone. I am excited about the development of Harmon, but the others are a question mark.

I am as pumped to see this team do well as anyone, but they haven't shown anyone they can win those 8+ games with the schedule they have this year. I am certainly hope the media is correct and I am surprised.

Yeah well, Eric01, with seeing possible losses, on the road at Pitt, or in South Bend/Notre Dame, that caliber of in-conference competition, suddenly thrust into the "uh oh" type of a loss column, well... It just kinda makes me wonder how many catastrophic meltdowns we're all gonna witness, right here, on PI, during this upcoming FB season, huh?

I mean, c'mon people, we all watched the games last season, and the season before that, and the one before that... Be completely honest, before the talking heads started their way too earlier pontificating, did anyone on this board EVER feel, much less type, that they believed this year's NC State FB squad would be in contention for a playoff spot? I mean, c'mon, seriously?

I am hoping that this isn't going ruin what would otherwise considered as a very strong showing by a much improved FB team, as well as a steadily improving FB program.

Try to avoid it, remember, this is all coming from... 'the media,' and these are... 'journalists,' we're talking about, for crying out loud. Keep it reasonable, base it on what YOU actually saw with your own two eyes, and what YOU were thinking at the end of last season. Hope for the best, and then, just... CHILL... people. I promise you, there won't be one journalist around to console you, but they'll damn sure climb over one another in order to label... YOU/Mr/Mrs Wolfpack fan... as The One who is always so pathetically unrealistic.
    Last edited by redfredina; 08-30-2017 at 08:36 PM.

Just curious: with most respondents in this poll saying they think we are a 8-9 win team, what are you expecting to occur that will cause a meltdown?

Two words: Bobby Boucher

Quote Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
    Just curious: with most respondents in this poll saying they think we are a 8-9 win team, what are you expecting to occur that will cause a meltdown?
    I am less convinced that we will have the build up of excitement to result in a meltdown. Again, our front four is something to get excited about, but as a team defense, they haven't shown they are the dominant force they are being made out to be. On the offensive side, we struggled during long stretches last year. What has changed? We lost Dayes, and picked up some WRs that haven't played in a year.

I am not convinced we are going to be a dumpster fire, but also not convinced we are going to be a threat either.

Quote Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
    I am less convinced that we will have the build up of excitement to result in a meltdown. Again, our front four is something to get excited about, but as a team defense, they haven't shown they are the dominant force they are being made out to be. On the offensive side, we struggled during long stretches last year. What has changed? We lost Dayes, and picked up some WRs that haven't played in a year.

I am not convinced we are going to be a dumpster fire, but also not convinced we are going to be a threat either.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric01 View Post
    On the offensive side, we struggled during long stretches last year. What has changed? We lost Dayes, and picked up some WRs that haven't played in a year.
    We have a second year with the same OC, QB, and team instead of a group that's never played together or under the new scheme before, one that has had a spring practice together. We should have a better FG kicker, which could make a huge difference. We have a healthy JSam, instead of the limited JSAM we had for too many games last year. We have a trio of backs that are both talented and have been playing enough now that they should all know how to pass block with reasonable effectiveness (only Nichols and Dayes seemed to last year).

We'll just have to see how much better we are with an offense that is more familiar as a group and with the schemes. We looked pretty good as we finished the season, and having a bigger long threat with our WRs is very important to DD's philosophy of going for big plays.
    Last edited by Dof87; 08-31-2017 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric01 View Post

I don't agree with the receiver assessment. We have two tall serviceable deep threats returning this year that really came on strong towards the end of the year. Also, we have Meyers returning and should see more snaps and touches. He is going to be dangerous with short and intermediate passes given his quickness and shiftiness. Not sure where you get the "picked up some WRs that haven't played in a year" assessment? All three of the starting WRs I just mentioned played last year and were productive. Louis was a true freshman and put up some pretty good numbers considering. Yes, we lost Dayes but between Gallaspy, Nichols (the only question mark at RB), and Hines we will be able to fill the void there. In my opinion, the only question marks on this team is the secondary and FG kicker. The front 4 and LBs getting to the QB will be crucial to help mask any liabilities we have in the secondary. I like our chances in that area because that is the strength of our entire team. I just hope we change our philosophy with our coverage with the CBs.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfHowl View Post
    I just hope we change our philosophy with our coverage with the CBs.
    I wonder what to expect. Once again we have limited experience in the secondary and the most important thing to DD is to limit big plays, even if it means giving up shorter stuff. Do we want to have our CBs spend more time with their backs to the QB? Are we better off trying trying to throw off their timing? I honestly don't know but something tells me we will again play off a bit just due to experience. We seem to have a bit more talent/experience in the LB group than last year, and maybe they hope for those guys to help cover that medium-short range.

Not advocating anything, btw. I'd kind of like to see a little more contact at the line, a mixing up of approach.

I think we'll know pretty quickly, as I expect SC to test our secondary early and often.