Thread: Reminder of how 'infractions' work on this forum.

Reminder of how 'infractions' work on this forum.

Note from the moderator: Recently, the following post was made in the 'Staff Shake-Ups' thread. I have moved this post and my response to a separate thread (non-stickied to the top so it can die over time if no one has questions) so that the Staff Shake-Ups thread can stay on topic. I did, however, want to keep the posts public because (a) this user mentioned sending private messages and (b) I am a big fan of transparency and wanted everyone to know what this infraction thing is all about in the event they hear about it "through the grapevine". This is also beneficial since we have had several new (and returning) posters pop up over the last few weeks who may not know what these are.

Basically, an infraction is like a strike in baseball. If someone does something that's just hate-baiting, personally insulting, or generally a nuisance to the open exchange of ideas, I use this forum's built in 'infraction' system to send a warning. What does a warning do? Absolutely nothing. It doesn't do a single thing. It just sends you a note to say what the mod thought you were doing wrong and helps the moderators keep track of the number of warnings someone has received. If you get 3 infractions, we still don't kick you out. We give you a 2-week temporary ban after which your infractions reset at zero.

What doesn't give you an infraction? Arguing about sports (even passionate arguments), disagreeing with moderator(s), criticizing content or opinions expressed by this site, etc. All of that is fine. Posting in a thread that someone needs to "f--- off" (which has happened) gets your post deleted and an infraction. Honestly, this seems like the most transparent system I've seen on any forum since most of them will just delete your posts and lock you out without warning or notice if they don't like what you're posting.

If you have question, reasonable/constructive comments, or suggestions, post 'em below. Otherwise, this thread will eventually fall down into the archives of this site where it should probably be shot and buried. Thanks for understanding, everyone.

--------------------------------ORIGINAL POST, BELOW---------------

Haha, this is friggin hilarious. I finally signed on and saw this from back in March:

"Dear thepackwillbeback,

You have received an infraction at PackInsider.com Forums.

Reason: Making a public scene of a one-on-one interaction with mod"

Wow, just wow.

Believe me, as long as you and your unfettered ego are involved in this site, I have no desire to post. I can read what guys I respect have to say like NTK and Packman, and ignore your blather. So please, no more stupid demerits. Good god, do you also give detentions?
    Last edited by Virginian; 01-06-2016 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Edited to put moderator's note on top of original post.

Quote Originally Posted by thepackwillbeback View Post
    Haha, this is friggin hilarious. I finally signed on and saw this from back in March:

"Dear thepackwillbeback,

You have received an infraction at PackInsider.com Forums.

Reason: Making a public scene of a one-on-one interaction with mod"

Wow, just wow.

Believe me, as long as you and your unfettered ego are involved in this site, I have no desire to post. I can read what guys I respect have to say like NTK and Packman, and ignore your blather. So please, no more stupid demerits. Good god, do you also give detentions?
    thepackwillbeback,

I had to look up what you were referring to. I always tell people that before I alter anybody's posts in any way, shape, or form, I send you a PM just to let you know out of respect. Altering a post most often means there was a typo or a duplicate post or something along those lines. That is to make sure no one feels like "big brother is changing their posts". It actually appears that in this case, I sent you a PM like this back in March of 2015. I can't tell where the post was that I had to alter, but here is how I responded back then (this is essentially the same response I would give you today).

General Note: I draw a huge line between ideas and people and though we can get into it over ideas, Dof87 and I have had these out before and end up always moving on to bigger and better things. That's a huge credit to Dof87 because usually he can actually move on quicker than me on these issues. The one thing that helps us both is that I feel both of us have been able to separate disagreeing with each other versus disagreeing with each other's posts (this thread included).

As a matter of transparency and respect, I contact each poster to let them know if I take ANY action against anything they post because I always hated the common practice on other sites of editing other people's work without them knowing. Now, making contact with someone is not the same thing as giving them an 'infraction' as explained in the announcement on The Free Expression Forum (it is posted there because that's the forum that really needs it the most, but it applies here as well). I sent thepackwillbeback a private message about one post he made (a simple one-liner) and he decided that, instead of responding in like-kind, that he would not respond to me privately as I did him and post a public rant regarding the site and moderation which completely ignores how passive/forgiving the current moderation team has been.
    If you never saw the announcement that was posted over there for quite some time, it basically said that if you do something that disrupts the general harmony or exchange of ideas on the forums, out of an abundance of patience I will just use the forums' built in "infraction" system. Each infraction expires after 3 months (so this infraction that you are so outraged about has been expired for 6 months now). If you get 3 infractions, like BB used to get, then you get a temporary ban of just a couple of weeks. After that, the penalties get harsher. I feel like this is an abundantly forgiving system to let people know if they are doing something a little off-base without reacting too harshly. It's rarely... rarely used but when it has been used it has been extremely effective (because 9/10 it's just one of us... myself included... getting a little carried away with a thread). For the record, I'm not giving you another infraction for this outburst in hopes that your sense of reason will be more receptive to what I'm saying.

I should add that I have never bitten anyone's head off for sending me a PM and voicing a concern or complaint. The fact that you would do today precisely the same thing as you did back then without investigating why you got a warning says a lot more about how you react to criticism than how this forum is run today.

Look, I've been a member of this site since the beginning. I've had different names as the site invariably crashed and got re-built, and I had to re-register. I have donated money to Lou in years when he requested help for equipment or other needs. So go ahead and do whatever. I honestly don't care.

So, to sum it up, don't do what bb did...

Quote Originally Posted by thepackwillbeback View Post
    Look, I've been a member of this site since the beginning. I've had different names as the site invariably crashed and got re-built, and I had to re-register. I have donated money to Lou in years when he requested help for equipment or other needs. So go ahead and do whatever. I honestly don't care.
    I'm not certain you read anything I just wrote, but the TL;DR version is that you are reacting to a very, very old warning over something that never had any impact to anything. The irony is that if you look at what your infraction was about (making a public display of your disagreements with the moderators), you are literally doing the exact same thing right now not realizing that a simple private message could have resolved whatever issue you may have. I'm practically begging you and anyone else to send me PMs about any grievances you have. If your response to that is to post various tirades in public hoping you can "make some grand-standing point", then don't get frustrated when the reaction is not a positive one.

In any event, this is obviously something that bothers you tremendously or I assume you wouldn't
    (a) complain about a 9 month old warning,
    (b) send private messages to people about what you view as an injustice without sending a private message to the person you feel has offended you, and
    (c) continue to argue that you have been unjustly treated.

Obviously you do care and I hope you do take time to read what I have posted in the edited section of your OP post, my response, and in the announcement on top of the Free Expression forum. I feel like trying to openly and transparently post in 3 separate places exactly what standard is expected of everyone is being more than fair and reasonable.

Also, moving this to Tech Support Forum where this probably belongs.

Quote Originally Posted by PackJunky View Post
    So, to sum it up, don't do what bb did...
    Bingo.

I really really really don't miss being a moderator and this is why.
    Romans 3:23 Romans 6:23 Romans 10:9-10 & 13